Sizing Natural Gas Regulators
As a stocking distributor of regulators, my customers often ask which natural gas regulator to use for a particular application. I usually ask a few questions and direct them to a product. Occasionally a client will ask, “What’s the secret to selecting the correct gas pressure regulator?”
There’s no secret, and I am happy to share the information.
Natural Gas Regulator Sizing
Here are six things you need to know to size your natural gas regulator.
- What type of gas are you regulating? While most of my customers inquire about natural gas or methane, I can help you control other fuel gases such as propane (LPG).
- What is the inlet pressure? If you do not have a pressure gauge, you can always call your gas distributor or inquire about some of the excellent gauges (gages) we have available. The units of measure here are either PSIG or WC.
- What is the desired outlet pressure? The units are usually WC, though they may be PSIG.
- What is the gas flow range? Alternatively, what are the gas load and capacity? What is the minimal and maximum expected capacity in units of CFH, MBH, or BTUH?
- What is the pipe size? Regulators are usually available in sizes ½” through 4″.
- Is the regulator to be indoors or outdoors? If the regulator is indoors, consider a line pressure regulator with a vent limiter and an overpressure protection device (OPD). More available on this on Gas Line Pressure versus Appliance Control.
It’s also helpful to know if the regulator is going inside or outside, and if noise is a concern, and what the altitude is.
Selecting the Correct Unit
If you have the answers to these questions, you have the information needed to select the correct regulator. Just know that you find yourself studying endless sizing charts and graphs.
- Get out your magnifying glass and pore through those manufacturer sizing charts available in the catalogs.
- Try the sizing programs offered by various manufacturers, though, they are not foolproof, and until they are, I personally still size my customer’s regulators the old-fashioned way.
- Call us at 303 697-6701 – or message us – and we will be happy to assist you with sizing your application.
Are you looking for Gas Pressure Regulators?
We offer our clients the best products for their commercial, industrial, and utility market needs. We typically stock regulators from:
- Itron (formerly Actaris, Schlumberger, Sprague)
- Honeywell (formerly Elster American Meter, Gorter)
If you don’t see what you are looking for, please message us as we cannot publish all of our product offerings. If you’d like to connect with a salesperson, see our Sales Team page.